Have you ever tried to get something to balance only to have it go one way or the other and never in the middle? It can be anything from a check book to a scale (not that we want to talk about scales) or, in my case, pH.
Now I know that pH may not be a topic that everyone worries about but I do because it has to do with the clarity and condition of the water in my pool. I am this weird person who is a little obsessive-compulsive (okay, my kids can stop laughing now) about how things look, especially around my pool. After all, this is an oasis for me. It's my little piece of the tropics stuck right here in the middle of Columbus Ohio. I sometimes even have a Cabana boy when he isn't playing golf, so it would make sense for me to want to have crystal clear water. But it isn't easy.
I usually have at least eight kids in my pool at a time. Sometimes, like yesterday, I have about thirteen. Apparently this causes a rise in the pH of the water due to various fluids (we won't go into that) so one would think I will be fighting this all summer. I think it's okay though and here's why...
I am learning math better (not one of my best subjects) and chemistry; like if I put two pounds of pH minus in my 16,000 gallon pools will it bring my 8.9 pH reading down to 7.5 where it is supposed to be. And if I need to put in a pound and an eighth, how much is that in the red cup I am using to measure with?
The other reason, and I consider this the main reason, is because it keeps the kids safe. I can absorb myself in a book while keeping my eye on the pool and the kids can play and cool off and be in an environment that is protected from the bully's and the noise and the trash of the outside world. They can be themselves and not worry about who may be watching (or leering at) them and they always have a referee if they need one.
I consider it a privilege to have them and well as a privilege that they want to be here. I am hoping to help them balance their lives and I know with God's help I will.
Now if only I could do the same with the pH!
3 comments:
A little O.C.? ;)
You are a mom to everyone :) and awesome at it!
Good for people to know.
Post a Comment