Okay, so I'm back to Blog-World.
Have you ever had a YIKES moment (or two)? Yikes is scarier than "Oh NO!" and "Watch Out!" It is a word the describes really difficult things we bring on ourselves or scary things that are placed unknowingly on you.
It was time for my computer security system to be renewed. I use Norton and I am pretty happy with it...so far. The little reminder window kept popping up warning me that I would soon subject my poor computer to all kinds of viruses and bugs and worms and spam and well, you can just imagine. So I clicked the window and not only renewed but upgraded my Norton to Norton 360. It has all kinds of bells and whistles to it and I'm so happy that I have protected my computer from all those nasties.......then, after all the downloads connected to the upgrade I decided to read my blogging buddies and YIKES!!! I couldn't get on-line. I thought I had royally messed up and called my favorite techie - Dave the Younger - to come save me. He did and now I'm back! YAY! I still like the Norton though. I'll just have to learn more about this computer.
On another topic....
I just had to share this with you. I think it's important to keep our eyes open when it comes to influencing our kids. I guess I am too protected and since I surround my self and the kids when they are here with "God-things" I don't realize what a world we live in.
I took the kids to the library the other day to sign up for the summer reading program. It's fun, it's good for them, they win prizes and I can join too! We all love to read.
Anyway, when we got all signed up, the kids kind of scattered which is fine. Jazzie went to the young adult books, Devon was in search of I don't know what and Kakie and I went to the children's book section. After selecting five books for Kay, (that was their limit) I went in search of the other two. I found them in the young adult section. Looking for scary mysteries. I was thinking that I wished they would read something more positive but had a weak case especially since Liz and I love to read mysteries and the book I am currently reading that the kids know I am reading is titled Dating is Murder. I rest my case. So I decided to help Jaz look so I could at least guide her away from the awful stuff.
OMG!!!!! The titles in that section of the library should have been in the back room where only the "big people with a problem" books should have been. There were books about witchcraft and hexes, murder, suicide, sex and even worse stuff. It appeared that almost every book talked about breaking one of the commandments. There was even a book there on How to annoy your teacher ! A book actually listing ways to bug your teacher....can you imagine?
Finally I steered Jazz and Dev out of that section and to a librarian. I asked if there were any tamer pre-teen books and he took us to them. WHEW! I never thought I would prefer to see Harry Potter! Anyway, they found some books, mysteries, and I didn't squabble. But I'll tell you this, I sure will pay attention to what they are reading from now on......
YIKES!!
2 comments:
I agree... YIKES! Glad you are back in the blogging world ~ I missed you.
Television isnt much better! I dont even turn it on anymore!!!
Love you lots
Post a Comment