Monday, August 4, 2008

Attached...



I'm in trouble.

Big trouble.

You see, I'm am a hopeless romantic. I want everything to be hearts and flowers and all lovey-dovey with life long commitments and a deep, undivided dedication between and boy and a girl. I have experienced the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet, (I saw it when I was about thirteen and cried for days) and have felt the sting of lost boyfriends in my life. But I always mentally jump up and down when the boy gets the girl in the end. My favorite holiday is Valentine's day and I have gold hearts painted on the ceiling of my bedroom, and now that I think about it, there is some form of romance in every room of my house. I guess you might say I have dedicated my life to romance and love.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not thinking about the tacky purple and pink kind of love that you adults might imagine. I'm talking about the sweet, unconditional love that comes from two hearts that are forever bound together. I think the term of the day is "soul mates". The whole "You complete me" thing. I have that kind of love and I pray my children do too. When I watch them, it is evident that they are well on their way to that all encompassing, over-the-top heart-to-heart relationship that God has planned for us.

But here is my problem...

I have become extremely attached to a new boy. Now before you gasp and think I've finally lost that last shred of sanity, let me explain.

I saw him at a picnic about a year and a half ago. He was the cutest boy there and let me tell you, there were a lot of boys. He seemed a little shy but had a beautiful smile that just melted my heart and I thought...he would be perfect for her. There was just something about him that intrigued me. I snuck around trying to take his picture...feeling a little bit like a stalker...and did get a few candid shots. And after the picnic I showed her the pictures and she had the innocence to blush. After all, she was sweet on him. She had a crush that she hoped would evolve into something more.

I was sad when I found out later that he had a girlfriend. That he was taken. I wanted him for her. She did what every young girl did and listened to music and had chosen "their" song. And she pined for him...kind of. But at last he was free!!! And the world rejoiced...or was that just my heart leaping? He started to come around...supposedly to swim...he came with friends. And she started to ply the trades of young women every where with her cute little smile and her tendency to blush and batting her beautiful eyelashes...and in no time...they were together, a couple, she had a boyfriend! He comes to see her almost every day and they talk on the phone all the time. She is learning to speak his language...slowly because it's strange to her...and he is learning too. I have watched them grow a little bit this summer and I have become attached.

In my mind I am planning a gorgeous wedding and holding lots of little brown-eyed great-grand babies and speaking fluent Spanish to them and.....

They are only twelve.

Now you see my dilemma?

Puppy Love.

I just can't see them apart. Ever.
I wonder if my mom went through this with my sisters and me? Did she pick out boys for us? I didn't pick out my daughters husband...she did a perfect job for herself. My husband says I should stop being such a Yenta but I love to match-make. Even if it's only in my mind. I think all women do that. But if it's meant to be...God will make a way. Stranger things have happened. I just hope I don't get my heart broken in the process.

4 comments:

Liz Ervin said...

Or mine

Anonymous said...

You've got to be kidding me. You actually think it is ok for a 12 year old to even be thinking about boys? No wonder your family is so messed up.

Anonymous said...

i dont know who that anonymous is but its not nice even if they are just playing!!
but thanks 4 writing a blog on me and jerry i love u oh by the way this is the gurl who is dating him tyvm!!! ugh an way ty!!

Liz Ervin said...

I think it would be a little strange if my daughter wasent into boys. But my mom always told me, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. So....