I embarrassed myself last night. A couple of times. I didn't mean to but...well let's back up a bit, shall we?
The Fourth of July is a special time for me. My husband asked me to "go steady" thirty-six years ago on the 4th. Isn't it interesting the things we remember?
But on this fourth, I kind of did my own thing. Dave was at a golf outing and all of the kids were doing who knows what and so, the dogs and I just sort of hung out and read and stuff (I read, the dogs looked at the pictures). I was determined I wouldn't clean or work or do any of the stuff I usually do when I am alone. I wanted to relax and do nothing.
I was bored out of my mind.
Finally, evening rolled around and it was time to leave for the fireworks display at St. Ann's hospital. Well, not really AT the hospital but near the hospital. We just use their parking lot to set up "camp". I was looking forward to seeing all of my kids and taking pictures and enjoying the rockets red glare as it were so I grabbed my trusty boom box...an appropriate name don't you think?...for some tunes and the sparklers and poppers and a little bag of no-carb treats for me and put on my sweater...(have you EVER heard of wearing a sweater on the fourth of July to watch fireworks?)...and headed out. I parked in our favorite spot and dared anyone to park in the spaces surrounding my car. After all, those spots were reserved for my kids. I took out the boom-box and got the tunes going and watched people while I waited.
The kids all got there and we had a great time popping poppers and telling jokes and lighting sparklers and looking for Mexican boys...well, two of my grand girls (who are sisters) are "dating" (new term for "going steady") Mexican brothers (and they were supposed to be there). Interesting, huh? I think it is so cool. Anyway, do you realize how many Mexican family's have a bunch of sons? We never did find them though. Too bad, I need a new phrase....they're teaching me to speak Spanish.
When the fireworks were over, I was pretty tired. Doing nothing and being bored out of your mind takes a lot out of you! I wanted to get home and in to my bed and dream great dreams.
It didn't quite work out that way.
We did the whole stop-N-go thing while getting out of the parking lot and I got angry at the traffic control guy because he wouldn't let me go the direction I wanted to go. I didn't say anything to him...my poor daughter got to hear me whine when I called her on her cell. But as we were making out slow way out of the lot, my brakes kept screeching. You see, when they get wet, they make a LOT of noise. My husband says this is normal. Embarrassment number one...some girl yells..."You better get those brakes looked at!" and then someone else yells..."yeah, stop slamming on your brakes like that!" I didn't say anything but put my window up and tried to coast to a stop only pushing a tiny bit on the brake peddle so I wouldn't hear any more wise cracks!
When I got home, I was mauled by my two dogs. They were barking and hopping up and down and I was in no mood for that so I gave them a treat and closed up the house. I was grouchy, tired and antsy all at the same time. I finally got settled at around 11:30. I turned on some soft music and had the fan going more for white noise than anything and was just dozing off when.....WHISTLE....POP...POP POP, BANG....I couldn't believe it. I grumbled, sighed and tried to concentrate on the white noise....let my mind go blank....r e l a x......
B O O M
I got up and looked outside and could see the glowing end of a match touch the end of yet another monster noise maker when FOOSH with a loud whistle it soared into the sky and exploded with a loud BOOM. That was it...I had had enough...embarrassment number two...I stuck my head out my back door and yelled..."COME ON..SERIOUSLY GUYS...IT'S TIME TO GO TO SLEEP."
The fireworks stopped.
It worked. But am I now the neighborhood curmudgeon? The old lady who won't let anyone have fun? I was secretly hoping that there were others in the neighborhood who were cheering me on but I didn't hear a single "yeah, what she said" come from any other house.
Now I wonder what to do. It's the next day and I am so embarrassed to have let my self control down and yell at someone who was just having fun...WITH LOUD EXPLOSIVES RIGHT OUTSIDE MY BEDROOM WINDOW AT MIDNIGHT....I mean kids will be kids right?
I think I'll go over there and apologize.
2 comments:
some poeples neighbors...
that was supposed to be PEOPLES...spelling right is just an opiton.
Post a Comment