Okay, I kind of "stumbled" on this almost by accident. Actually, I say that tongue in cheek because I KNOW how it happened and I am still wondering why.
It all started about two years ago when I thought it would be nice to share my swimming pool with my grand-kids and a few of their friends. As I was sharing, the thought "came" to me that maybe it would be fun to have a little Children's Church once a week to teach them about Jesus. I mean, I did have some extra time and I thought they should have a mid-week dose of the Good News, so I started teaching them for a couple of hours on Wednesday nights. It was good for the kids, good for me and good for the parents because that would give them a "date night" to grab dinner out or a movie.
It was all going along nicely until recently when it "came" to me that many of my kids were at that awkward age of 10-13. The 'Tweenies. So I decided to start a 'Tweenies Youth Group in addition to Children's Church. Now not only my pool is full after school, my kitchen table is full after swimming......TWICE A WEEK!
I have seven 'Tweenies on Tuesday nights and last night I had twelve (would have been thirteen if my Chloe hadn't been sick) in Children's Church.
My 'Tweenies have their own class but also, at the end of their session, they are chosen for a topic to "teach" the Children's Church the next night and they are really enjoying it. I'm very proud of them.
Now mind you, I didn't ask for any of this. I have never considered myself a teacher. I didn't think I had the patience for it (and sometimes I don't) but for some reason God has sent this ministry to me and it is growing....by leaps and bounds! I've told the kids they can ask their friends to come and they sure are! I could hardly fit all of them around my table last night and am a little concerned about where to put them all next week! But I know that God will provide and I pray for wisdom and knowledge to carry out this precious goal He has given me. I pray for strength and stamina too.
Years ago I thought I was getting a swimming pool to play in with my kids. Now I see that God had other ideas. He is letting me reach the neighborhood kids with pool water and they are coming back for the Living Water!
It's exhausting but it's fun.
And I can tell you this....it sure is sure is noisy!
2 comments:
I think your crazy:):)
So do I....but I also think that you do a wonderful job with them and I think it's awesome that you are doing this for all of the kids involved. Some of them probably really need God and at least you are helping them to find Him. :)
Post a Comment