Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Color within the lines...

I have a character flaw. Actually I have many but I want to share just one with you. I like to color between the lines.

When I get out a coloring book and my box of 64 Crayola crayons, that means I'm serious about coloring what ever picture I have carefully chosen in the coloring book. The picture has to "touch" me somehow and I will work on it until it is completed. Once I have chosen a picture, I choose the colors each of the 64 Crayolas are arranged by color from lightest with black, gray, white and the "metals" all in their own little compartment and begin to enhance my picture. Although the picture has lines to color in, I trace each of those lines with the color that section will be when completed. I've always done this. I don't know why, but I do realize that when you do that, the color seems to flow onto the paper better without the possibility of going outside the lines. That is very significant.

I have realized though and my husband and family have repeatedly pointed it out to me that I carry this thought process into my every day life. I don't like to break the rules. I guess I think that if someone took the time to make the rules, the rules must be important.

Just like yesterday. I went to Walgreen's to pick up a prescription. Instead of going to the drive-thru window, I opted to go inside because I needed a few other items. As I pulled around into the parking lot, I noticed a car...an older beater...parked at the sidewalk next to the doors. Now mind you, there were several parking spaces open not twenty-feet from the front door just begging to have cars occupy them, but no, this individual was parked right next to the front door.

I tried to put a positive spin on it thinking that the driver of that car was a little more handicapped and couldn't walk twenty feet or that they were just going in to grab something really important, really fast, and get home to a sick child. Then I thought that maybe it was a robber trying to keep his or her car ready for the great escape and from there all sorts of things went through my head. But as I entered the store, no-one had their hands up so robbery was out and I didn't see ANYONE in a hurry so that scenario was out too. There were a few people in there meandering about looking at things and sucking up the air conditioning while browsing.

I was in the store about fifteen to twenty minutes. I got my prescription, they called me by my given name...grrrr paid for it at the pharmacy counter, and then went to pick up the other items and pay for them at the check out. The couple in front of me in line where the ones who owned the car. They were both able-bodied, fairly young and strong, but had parked practically in the building because they were too lazy to walk twenty feet!!!!


I was appalled. I couldn't believe the audacity of those two. What gives them the right to color outside the lines? What would happen if I would have parked there? Would they have come out and yelled at me for parking in the FIRE LANE possibly jeopardizing the people in the store should a fire break out and the fire engines not be able to get close enough to the building?

It wasn't that couple in particular who got my Irish up. It happens everywhere. Many people seem to think that they are the only people in this world who matter. It's all about me...me...me... What do I want? What will make life better, easier, more fun, for me? What's in it for me? I don't have to do anything for anyone but ME!!!


WE INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM TO BRING THIS SPECIAL NEWS BULLETIN...


The two shop lifters in Saturdays brawl at Walmart were apprehended after the Columbus police department and security chased them through Easton. It was stated that once Cruella DeVille got to her car, she came around to pick up her accomplice. When the car got to her the accomplice opted to take the stolen merchandise and LEAVE THE BABY BEHIND! Apparently the couple had been having quite a day of five-finger discounts when they were apprehended. When asked why the seven-month old boy was left in the cart, the accomplice replied, "he isn't my child". Apparently she was baby-sitting her god-son. The baby was turned over to children's services and was later reunited with his mother. Both Cruella and her accomplice were detained.....duh!


Another story broke yesterday at a suburban home in Columbus....

Wildlife expert Shane Ervin single handedly captured the dreaded Opossum Rex that had been terrorizing a neighborhood trash can. Several 'Tweenie children and a young girl, aged seven, had enjoyed an afternoon snack of Popsicles and animal crackers when they went to throw the wrappers away. Several screams were emitted with shouts of....."there's a 'possum in the trash can!" It was the dreaded Opossum-Rex with his little beady eyes and long slithery tail.

Quickly searching for her patented Opossum Pokin' Stick, the home owner shouted to the children..."RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! " but before the mayhem broke out Ervin jumped up and called for his assistant to get the Opossum Handling Cloths and an Opossum Transport Container.

The children huddled together with words of "eeeewwww, gross....it's ugly," and "don't hurt it..." while the home owner stumbling around on her feet-fists took pictures of the huge creature. Ervin swiftly reached into the trash container with his Opossum Handling Cloths and placed the struggling creature in the awaiting Opossum Transport Container. The children calmed down and the Opossum-Rex was later released in a protected environment....where there are no dogs...only Dawgs.


In an effort to thwart the hostile take over of the trash-can...Ervin installed his patented Opossum Deterrent Device to the trash can and the children went back to swimming.


We will have more on this and other stories as they come in....we will now return you to programming already in progress.


Sometimes I wish I had the ...... chutzpah... to do something like that...but when I think about it I don't think I could.

I believe that there are rules for a reason. We should all try to follow them and then the world would be a much calmer place...wouldn't it? Isn't that what the Ten Commandments were for? A guide line? Do unto others? Heck, there are times I'd like to do unto others.....but instead I'll take out my box of 64 Crayolas and draw a line around the rule breakers. Maybe if I do I can color them in and they will be forced to stay within the lines.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO RODENTS ALLOWED ON BLOGS THAT I READ!!!!!!!!!!
Love ya

Lori Mueller said...

LMAO!!!!

Liz Ervin said...

I thought he cradled it like a baby:)